My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Sunday, December 05, 2010

What does history have to do with it? — Christology & History

I found this text in  Antony Buzzard's Christological Confession found in this discussion forum :

...I am convinced that a biblical Christology must be rooted in history.

I am not sure that I would make such a statement. I am all for studying the history of the faith but my Christology is rooted in revelation, not history.  Take Paul for example, how much time does Paul spend talking about the life of the historical Jesus? Paul met Jesus on the road to Damascus, his Christology was rooted in a divine human encounter with the risen Christ. The historical reality, that Jesus Christ lived as a real man and died a real death and was raised on third day in real history, is indispensable to Paul's Christology. But Paul's Christology was rooted in revelation. Without the revelation, none of the history would have counted for anything.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home